Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting st albans to 80360, or email us
Fire crews battle blaze at a house in Granville Road, St Albans
A blaze broke out in a St Albans home last night after the residents left their fire burning unattended while eating their dinner.
Firefighters were called to a house in Granville Road just before 7pm.
The residents had lit a fire in the fireplace in their living room due to the cold weather.
As they ate dinner in another room the carpet was set alight and the blaze spread across the room.
After hearing the fire alarm they rang 999 and two engines from the St Albans fire station rushed to the scene.
Watch commander, Tony Bates said: "It caused a lot of smoke damage in the front room.
"In this cold weather people need to make sure fires are not left unguarded."
Mr Bates also pointed out that the blaze could have been a lot worse if the fire alarm did not warn the residents.
He said: "Another minute or two and it would have been a very serious fire."