Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting st albans to 80360, or email us
Oscar Abernethy-Cortez to be assessed for sex offender programme
A Harpenden man convicted of having sex with two girls is to be assessed for treatment on a sex offenders' programme.
Oscar Abernethy-Cortez, 20, was found guilty of assault by penetration on a 15 year old girl he met through Facebook in July 2010.
He was bailed after his arrest for that offence and in December of that year had sex with a 14 year old in a car. That led to his conviction for sexual activity with a child.
In February last year a jury was unable to agree its verdict on a charge that Abernethy-Cortez had raped the 15 year old girl. A retrial had been set for the Old Bailey but the prosecution had decided not to proceed.
Abernethy-Cortez, of Bramble Close, Harpenden was brought back to St Albans Crown Court to be sentenced today/Friday but his barrister Denis Barry, asked for a three week adjournment for an assessment to be carried out on him for the Thames Valley Sex Offender programme.
Judge Martin Griffith adjourned sentence again telling Abernethy-Cortez that if he is suitable for the programme it can be carried out either in the community or in prison.
He said: "These are two very serious matters. The second offence was committed while you were on bail for the first."
At an earlier hearing the judge said Abernethy-Cortez had taken advantage of younger girls who needed to be protected.
Comments are closed on this article.