Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting st albans to 80360, or email us
Planned school closures due to teacher strikes across St Albans district
A number of schools in St Albans district will be closed tomorrow due to planned teachers strikes.
The two largest teaching unions, NUT and NASUWT, have confirmed that teachers in Hertfordshire will strike for one day over national disputes around pay, pensions and working conditions, unless an agreement is reached.
Chris Hayward, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "While we recognise that there are strongly held feelings on both sides of this national dispute, strike action in a key public service like this can only be to the detriment of Hertfordshire’s children and their parents. We hope that there is a speedy resolution to this dispute in the interests of all concerned."
Schools which plan to partially close:
- Batchwood School, in Townsend Drive, St Albans will be closed to all except to Year 11 pupils.
- Beaumont School, in Oakwood Drive, St Albans will be closed to pupils in years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
- Beech Hyde Primary school in Nurseries Road, St Albans, will be partially closed. Parents are advised to contact the school for more information.
- Grove Junior School, in Dark Lane, Harpenden will be partially closed. Parents are advised to contact the school for more details.
- Heathlands School in Heathlands Drive, St Albans will be closed to the Lower School 1 (foundation) Lower School 3 and 8/9 Group 4.
- Loreto College, in Hatfield Road, St Albans will be partially closed but remain open for supported study.
- Margaret Wix Primary School, in High Oaks, St Albans will be closed to pupils in Years 2, 3, 4 and 5.
- Redbourn Junior School in Long Cutt, Redbourn, will be partially closed. Parents are advised to contact the school for more information.
- Sandringham School in The Ridgeway, St Albans will be closed to pupils in Years 7 and 8 and partially closed to pupils in Years 10 and 11.
- Sauncey Wood Primary School in Pickford Hill, Harpenden will be closed to pupils in Years 3, 4, 5, 6 and Speech and Language.
- Sir John Lawes in Manland Way, Harpenden will be closed to pupils in Years 7, 8,9, 10 and 11 - St Adrian’s RC Primary and Nursery, Watling View, St Albans, will be closed to pupils in Years 1, 3 and 5.
- St Albans Girls School in Sandridgebury Lane, St Albans will be closed to pupils in Years 7, 8, 9 and 10.
- St Peter’s School in Cottonmill Lane, St Albans will be closed to year 6 pupils.
- Verulam School, in Brampton Road, St Albans will be closed to pupils in Year 9 and 10.
Schools which will be closed on Tuesday:
- Bowmansgreen Primary School, in Telford Road, London Colney.
- Crabtree Infants’ School in Crabtree Lane, Harpenden.
- St Alban & St Stephen RC Junior School in Cecil Road, St Albans.
- Windermere Primary School, in Windermere Avenue, St Albans.
Comments are closed on this article.