The family of a father stabbed to death in Welwyn Garden City have paid tribute to a "lovable and loyal" brother and son.

Scott Stone, 26, was stabbed to death during an argument in Guinness House, Little Hardings on Sunday, March 16.

He leaves behind mother, Lesley, his twin brother, Jamie, brother George, girlfriend Rachel and their 18 month-old daughter Ebony, who he lovingly called Bonnie.

His mother Lesley explained her disbelief at her son’s death.

She said: "There’ll never be another Scott in the world and I still can’t believe he has gone.

"He was a loveable rogue and related with people so easily. He always defended those who were targeted or bullied, was always happy to help people and do anyone a favour.

"He was on the bus once and he stood up for a disabled person who was being picked on by a group of school children and every year he would always help our neighbours with their Christmas lights."

Born in Hackney, Mr Stone and his family moved to Welwyn Garden City when he was eight-years-old, where he attended the St Frederic Osborn School.

A rugby fan and, since the age of 11, he played for the Welwyn Rugby Club and later the Hatfield Queen Elizabeth II Rugby Club.

His passion for keeping active extended into his adult life when he visited his local gym, 1RM, every morning at 5am before he went to work.

Mr Stone had started working for St Mungo’s, a charity that assists the homeless with finding accommodation, offers support and develops work and life skills in December 2013. He worked there as part of the hospital discharge team.

Prior to this, Mr Stone had worked with young adults with autism for 12 months and later he worked for Elizabeth House where he was a carer for the elderly.

Of his current job, Lesley said: "He absolutely loved his work. He was involved with so many different things and he really enjoyed it all. He had a naturally caring nature. In his previous job he was asked to take an elderly man to see his sister in Norfolk as she was seriously ill. Scott didn’t hesitate. He took him and was his personal carer for the entire trip."

Scott’s manager at St Mungo’s added: "Scott was a humble and down to earth person with a cheeky sense of humour. He was incredibly open minded and accepted people as they were without judgement. It was my great pleasure to work with him."

Mr Stone had a large group of friends who he often socialised with.

His brother Jamie explained: "I would describe Scott simply as ‘fun’. Whenever he went out he would always make it a special occasion. Trips to the pub would always be transformed by him as he’d always insist on going in costume or doing something else to make it memorable."

He was a massive music fan and supported a local band, who he often went to see perform in his hometown, called Jesus Hooligan.

Mr Stone leaves behind his daughter Ebony, who is described as his world. As soon as he had finished work he would go to his daughter, bath her and put her to bed. He had recently bought her a dog and they spent the weekends going to the park together.

His brothers Jamie and George said: "Scott was really close to his family, especially to mum. He was very principle orientated and extremely loyal to his family and friends. He would do anything for them. He was the biggest softy at heart."

Girlfriend Rachel added: "He lived life to the fullest and he always wanted to make every day the best. He absolutely doted on Ebony and he always supported me.

"I tattooed him and he would always brag about them to people. Whenever they asked who did them he’d always say he tattooed himself first - he was so cheeky - but then he’d say I’d done them. He really believed in me and my art."

The family has also thanked the police for the support given to them at this difficult time.

Lesley said: "We cannot thank the two police officers who initially attended the scene enough. My heart goes out to them and we really want them to know how much we appreciate their efforts."

Rachel added: "The police have really looked after me and I’m grateful to them."

The funeral has not yet been arranged but the family have now asked for privacy over this distressing time.