Lyricist and author Sir Tim Rice took a trip down memory lane on Saturday when he visited his former school in Harpenden to officially open a new complex hall.
Three hundred people gathered at Aldwickbury School to celebrate the opening of its new facilities, which signified the end of an eight-year project, from the inception of the idea, through the building of the dining room, the library, the music department and the hall.
Sir Rice, who was one of 18 ‘Old Boys’ from the 1950’s, spoke fondly of his time at the Wheathampstead Road school. He was presented with a photo frame containing photos of him performing in a play during his time at the school.
The new Castle Dining Room is built on the legacy that was started by Kenneth Castle and Brian Chidell.
Lea House, which began in 1937, was founded by Mr Castle, who employed Mr Chidell as his business partner. In 1948 they moved the school to its current site and Aldwickbury was born. Mr Castle died in 1959, and Mr Chidell became the sole headteacher.
The dining room has been named in memory of Mr Castle and Chidell Hall, a creative arts hall, has been named in honour of Mr Chidell.