A senior firefighter has praised a worker from Thrive Homes who prevented a fire from spreading.

Sean Good, watch commander at Ricksmansworth Fire Station, said a chip pan fire in Curtis Close was extinguished after the housing association representative put a wet towel on the fire.

There has been some smoke damage in the kitchen of the Mill End home.

Mr Good told the Watford Observer: “He ran in and put a wet towel on it to stop it from spreading.

“Early intervention is key.”

Fire crews from Rickmansworth Fire Station arrived shortly after, but did not need to do any firefighting.