Run all over heart disease at the British Heart Foundation’s London 10k Runs (From St Albans & Harpenden Review)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting st albans to 80360, or upload here
Run all over heart disease at the British Heart Foundation’s London 10k Runs
10:09am Wednesday 2nd April 2014 in Fundraising
If this months’ iconic London Marathon has inspired you to take up running but you don’t fancy starting with a 26 mile challenge, then why not run or jog up to 10k around some of London’s iconic landmarks and green spaces and help the fight heart disease at the same time.
The British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) series of 10k runs take place across the capital from May to October each year. Whether you’re new to running, training for a marathon, or want a focus to your running, the BHF running series really does offer something for everyone.
Last year over 7,500 runners from across London took part in a BHF London Run and raised over £330,000 to fund life-saving research into heart disease.
Around 200,000 people live with heart disease in the capital and over 6,500 people in London die each year from coronary heart disease – the UK’s single biggest killer.
Louise Hazel, GB Heptathlete and BHF Running Champion, who has helped to launch this year’s series, says: “Running is a great sport that anyone can enjoy – it’s good for your health and your pocket and you can do it anywhere.
“Heart disease can affect anyone and strike when you least expect it. I should know; I lost my father at just 50 years old. This is why I’m lending my support to the BHF’s London 10k Runs. It is money raised from events such as this that is helping to find vital treatments that are transforming the fight against heart disease and making a difference to the millions of adults and children affected by it.”
You can jog or run 10k or 5k on our London Runs, and with many of them including fun runs for the little ones, they make a great family event.
The BHF’s 2014 London Runs are:
- Tower of London Run - run around the moat of this famous historic fortress on Wednesday 7 May;
- Canary Wharf Jog - A great way to end your working day by running on closed roads around some of London’s skyscrapers on Wednesday 21 May;
- Victoria Park Run - New this year, a chance to run around ‘The People’s Park’ on Sunday 3 August;
- Greenwich Royal Park Run - Enjoy some spectacular views of London while running on this spectacular route on Saturday 16 August;
- Hyde Park Run - Run around one of Central London’s most beautiful parks on Saturday 4 October.
So lace up those trainers, do some stretches and get running!
Visit bhf.org.uk/londonruns to register.