Hunts bags a brace but Swans lift the Capital League Cup

City Reserves ended their season with a penalty shoot-out defeat at Staines Town

City Reserves ended their season with a penalty shoot-out defeat at Staines Town

First published in Sport
Last updated

Two goals from the well-travelled Harry Hunt could not save St Albans City Reserves from defeat in the final of Capital League (President’s) Cup on Thursday, as hosts Staines Town won a penalty shoot out after the two sides had finished all square at 2-2 after 90 minutes at Wheatsheaf Park.

Staines opened the scoring on 14 minutes with a fine effort from Bajram Pashaj, but City drew level through Hunt on the half hour after Elliot Bailey had teed up the one-time Barnet youngster, who turns 27 next week.

Hunt fired the Saints ahead from the penalty spot on 62 minutes after he had been nudged in the back by Qaseem Sotonwa to win the spot kick.

But just when it appeared that City were taking a firm grip on the game Staines grabbed an equaliser with a stupendous effort by substitute Iven Kumanda.

Chances came and went at either end during the remainder of a highly entertaining second half but there was no further addition to the score.

With there being no extra time in the competition the game went straight to a penalty shoot-out that Staines won 5-3.

Staines successfully converted all five of their penalties while City were playing catch-up after their former keeper, Kyle Merson, had saved Abonaker Eisa effort.

Hunt, Chris Henry and Danny Green scored City’s next three penalties but Swans skipper Erivaldo Felix was able to step forward to collect the trophy.

Included in the City side was full-back Jack Mace who has recently been released by Torquay United.

The Saints have seven Capital League matches waiting to be played but the outcome of these will be decided by the league as the season comes to a close on 18th May.

The St Albans City First team have received confirmation that they will be spending the 2014-15 season in Conference South rather than Conference North.

St Albans City Reserves: T.Coulton, J.Mace, S.Henderson (R.Raphael 66), D.Green, J.Kaloczi, D.Longe-King, J.Watson (H.Bounyafe 73), J.Parke-Jude (A.Eisa 46), E.Bailey, H.Hunt, C.Henry.

Referee: David Buck (Gravesend).

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree