The Spartan South Midlands Premier Division championship shield was presented to London Colney on Saturday afternoon, but only after Wembley FC had spoiled the party with a 3-2 win over the newly crowned champions.

The Blueboys made a bright start with Archie McClelland shooting just wide of Wembley’s right-hand post before Mark Riddick saw a low drive well saved by Wembley goalkeeper Przemyslaw Mierzwa.

London Colney did take the lead in the first half through McClelland after great work down the right wing from Ashley Morrissey. His pinpoint pass across the face of goal allowed McClelland to tap in the opening goal.

Wembley hit back and after a spell of pressure were awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area. Zaied Sabti hit a fierce drive that was kept out by Tom Gowans but Joe Wright was on hand for the visitors to slide home the rebound and level things up at 1-1.

London Colney were back in front early on in the second half when substitute Jon Clements cut into the box from the right and drilled the ball past Mierzwa for his 38th goal of a remarkable season. Dave Parkinson almost made it 3-1 just five minutes later but Mierzwa saved brilliantly to deny him.

Colney were made to pay for that and several other missed opportunities when Wembley stormed back into the game in the closing stages. Wright first lobbed the ball over a stranded Gowans in the Blueboys’ for his and Wembley’s second of the game and just minutes later; Tony Webb sent a 25-yard pile driver beyond the reach of the champions’ keeper to steal all three points.

It was a sucker-punch to lose in such a way but nevertheless, the celebrations began at the final whistle. The shield was presented to Captain Greg Shaw and the champagne began to flow in earnest.

Elsewhere, Saturday’s win over Codicote has almost certainly sealed Harpenden’s promotion to Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.

A 2-1 win, combined with the 1-0 defeat of promotion rivals Baldock Town has resulted in Harps leapfrogging the latter into second place in the Division One table.

The title could also still be on the cards as Biggleswade still need three points from their final game to secure the championship.

Saturday’s game at Rothamsted Park saw David Keenleyside score twice against Codicote to secure a 2-1 victory. The forward was praised by manager Danny Plumb who spoke of just how good he was.

He said: “David Keenleyside was outstanding, not only with his technical skill but his all out effort”.

The win capped off a fabulous five days for the club having already seen off fellow promotion hopefuls Baldock on Tuesday evening.

Kyle McLeish scored for Harps with just three minutes on the clock and the team held on in what was a nail-biting 90 plus minutes to win the game 1-0. Plumb was full of praise for his side’s efforts this week: