The fire service is warning people to be careful after a mattress was set on fire by a pair of hair tongs.

Firefighters from Herts Fire and Rescue Service were called to a home in Green Lane, St Albans on Wednesday (July 10) at 10.18am. Upon arrival, they found a mattress alight.

Two crews from St Albans fire station were able to put out the blaze by 10.44am. No-one was injured.

Following the incident, the fire service has shared some safety advice for people using electrical hair straighteners:

  • Only place hair tongs on a heat resistant surface - ideally a heat proof mat or tray
  • Switch off the straighteners and unplug them from the mains when you have finished using them
  • Allow them to cool down completely before leaving them