People who have been affected by the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic might be entitled to council tax support.

The closure of schools last Friday (March 20) means parents will have to look after their children at home and some might not be able to work as a result.

Pubs, restaurants and clubs were also told to close last week.

St Albans and City District Council said those who claim council tax support as a result of the effects of the virus outbreak can receive a significant reduction in their bill, if they are struggling financially.

But it added anyone who has recently lost their job or suffered a sudden drop in wages should first of all apply for any state benefits they may be entitled to.

Residents can do this online ( or by calling Jobcentre Plus on 0800 169 0350.

Benefits which may be available include statutory sick pay, new-style job seekers allowance, employment support allowance and universal credit.

Universal credit can also provide help with rent payments to private landlords, the council or a housing association.

In addition to this, people can make applications to St Albans District Council for council tax support.

This means residents who receive universal credit and are not working will not normally be expected to pay any council tax.

Cllr Karen Young responsible for resources said: "Our advice to people whose income has taken a hit is to claim council tax support without delay.

"They should make enquiries too, with the department for work and pensions about what other help they may be entitled to.

"This is a fast-moving national emergency and we can expect many more initiatives by the Government in the days and weeks ahead to keep people afloat financially.

"We will be following all this very closely and will respond quickly and appropriately, keeping people updated on our website with any new benefit rules or entitlements."

For more information about council tax support go to: