March again saw criminals jailed for an array of offences in Hertfordshire, as the justice systems continues its work despite lockdown.

The offences range from drug dealing, assault and spitting at a police officer.

Below is a round-up of all people put behind bars this month.

Adam Jaylani, 21, of Orange Hill Road, Edgware

Jaylani was sentenced to nearly two years in prison after he physically assaulted a teenage girl in Bushey.

St Albans Crown Court heard how Jaylani and the victim, who was 14 years old at the time, were known to one another.

They were sat in a stationary vehicle on Park Avenue when there was an altercation between them.

Jaylani headbutted the victim before punching her in the mouth, causing facial bruising.

He was given a 21-month prison sentence and a 10-year restraining order in relation to the victim, which prohibits him from contacting her and her family, or visiting her address.

Gary Bangs, 18, of Byewaters, Watford

Bangs was sentenced to nine months in a Young Offenders' Institution for threatening a police officer with a weapon in Watford.

St Albans Crown Court heard how on Saturday, January 9, this year, Bangs had been spotted on CCTV acting suspiciously and was believed to be in possession of a knife.

A police officer attended the town centre and attempted to stop the teenager, who then produced a Samurai sword and threatened the constable before running off.

Bangs was arrested a short while later and officers seized the weapon which was found discarded nearby.

He pleaded guilty to assaulting an emergency worker and threatening a person with an offensive weapon in a public place.

Victoria Woods, 34, of Crown Road, Borehamwood

Woods was sentenced to 14 months imprisonment after stabbing her former partner in the back.

St Albans Crown Court heard how at around 8.50pm on June 24 last year, Woods and her ex-partner, who had both been drinking, had a verbal argument outside her address in Crown Road.

Woods threatened to kill her partner before he got into his car to escape. Woods got on to the bonnet of his car screaming, swearing and continued to make threats to his life.

They both went back inside the address but two minutes later, the victim had suffered a stab wound to his back and was pleading for help from neighbours before collapsing in the street from his injuries.

Woods had pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm (GBH) on January 4.

Matthew Brooks, 36, of Cutmore Drive, Colney Heath

Brooks was given a four-week jail term for breaching his Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO).

He was sentenced on Monday, March 22, at a virtual court for being intoxicated and in possession of alcohol within the Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) area of St Albans, contravening his two-year Criminal Behaviour Order issued in September last year.

The court heard that Brooks had attended Open Door night shelter on Sunday (21 March) in an intoxicated state and threatened staff at the premises.

Harvey Coleman, 26, of Robins Way, Hatfield

Coleman was sentenced to two years and four months in prison after being found in possession of class A and B drugs.

St Albans Crown Court heard how at around 3.30pm on Tuesday, January 5, Coleman was stopped by police as he drove along the A1M near Welwyn. His vehicle had been flagged as having no insurance.

As police spoke to Coleman, a strong smell of cannabis was coming from the vehicle and so it was subsequently searched. Cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine were found in the vehicle along with a set of electronic scales.

Coleman was arrested and taken to Hatfield custody and was charged the following day.

He pleaded guilty to the following offences:

  • Possession of a class A drug (cocaine) with intent to supply
  • Possession of a class A drug (ecstasy) with intent to supply
  • Possession of a class B drug (cannabis) with intent to supply
  • Driving without insurance

Marcia Massey, 42, of Hatfield Crescent, Hemel Hempstead

Massey was jailed for three months after pleading guilty to spitting at a police officer in Hemel Hempstead.

Luton Crown Court heard how police were called to a disturbance at Massey’s home address on the evening of Saturday, June 20, last year.

On arrival, Massey exited the address and began behaving aggressively. While officers were detaining her, the defendant proceeded to spit in the face of a female police constable.

She pleaded guilty to one count of assaulting a police constable on Thursday, December 3, last year.