MORE material this week from regular correspondent Tony Billings.

Mr Billings has already published two books on the history of St Albans' buses but the material that follows is additional information which might be of interest to local readers.

The first section deals with the history of the city's horse buses while the second deals with the early history of the first motor buses to operate in the city.

Tony begins: "By 1890 local horse bus services operated in the town connecting the three railway stations with hotels:1/ LNWR Station (Holywell Hill) to Queen's Hotel (Chequer Street) operated by the London and North-Western Railway Co.

2/ GNR station (London Road) to the Peahen (London Road) possibly operated at some time by Harry Finch Reynolds, Carrier and Cartage Contractor of Queen's Yard Stables, Chequer Street.

3/ Midland Station (Victoria Street) to Hoggs, Peahen Yard (London Road) operated by John Dalgetty Cable.

"By 1906 the hotel termini for all three services had become a common point, the High Street, alighting adjacent to W.S Green's department store. The omnibuses then turned at Mrs Worley's drinking fountain for their return journeys.

"Two tickets from the Cable services are illustrated which indicate that it had three fare stages of 1d, 2d and 3d, terminating at the Rats Castle in Fleetville although passengers were probably for Nicholson's coat factory in Sutton Road.

"John Dalgetty Cable was listed at the George Hotel Yard, St Albans (1890) and at 81 St Peter's Street (by 1899). In December 1906, he formed a limited company, John Cable Ltd, to take over his existing business of Job Master and Carrier.

"He was the Governing Director and the majority of other shares were held by Mary Beatrice, Edith and Violet Cable, presumably his wife and daughters.

"In June 1913 he purchased the business of Harry Finch Reynolds and Finch became a director. In November 1916, it was resolved to wind the company up.

"Kelly's Directory from 1909 states that Reynolds was veterinary inspector for St Albans Rural with addresses at 10 Chequer Street and Calverton, Harpenden Road.

"It seems certain that Cable ran the Midland Station bus. It is likely that he gave the bus up around 1913 to concentrate on goods haulage.

"There is nothing to suggest he made the switch to motor buses but 81 St Peter's Street being a later address of Herts Motors, it is probable that he sold the bus and landau business to that company.

"The first motor bus in St Albans was run by Herts Motors in 1909. The origins of the firm lie in Tilley, Giffen and Co who were motor engineers in the town at 94 London Road, formerly the old Catholic Church and then City Motor Works.

"On September 28 1907 the St Albans and Luton Motor Company Ltd was formed to take over and continue the business. The directors were Francis Herbert Giffen of St Albans (motor engineer), Francis Alfred Giffen of Beaconsfield Road (gentleman) and Richard George Byers of Luton (straw hat manufacturer).

"All three had been partners in the earlier business, a reasonably substantial concern which also had premises at the New Century Motor and Cycle Company at 96 London Road and at the Imperial Motor Works at New Bedford Road in Luton.

"The involvement with buses came on April 16 1909 when it was agreed to acquire the business of J.G Moody and Company, motor cycle engineers and electricians of Harpenden.

"In fact this appears to have been a reverse takeover for, in due course, the Giffens and Byers departed to be replaced by Charles Thomas Part and John George Moody.

"Ten days later the name was changed to Herts Motors Ltd and on July 25 their inaugural trip to "Breezy Dunstable Downs" ran. The manager was J.G Moody.

"Tickets in my possession indicate further (otherwise unadvertised) routes to Hatfield GNR Station and futher trips to Dunstable Downs. Whether it ever ran or not, the service to Fleetville Post Office, echoing Cable's horse bus, is listed.

"Another ticket shows various other fare stages, London Colney, New Birklands, St Albans, the Pre, the Punchbowl, Redbourn, Flamstead and Markyate Street.

"Competition came on September 1912 when the London General Omnibus Company began route 84 from Golders Green sharing the Herts Motors' bus road in from London Colney.

"However in its early days the 84 was more an excursion bus for Londoners than a service bus.

"Operations are thought to have ceased following War Department requisition of Herts Motors' buses in August 1914 which was followed by the premises at 94 London Road being burnt to the ground on September 4.

"After the war the premises at 81 St Peter's Street were again in use for car sales. The company contnued as motor agents after the war until March 15, 1922, when the company was placed in voluntary liquidation.

"But the business, still called Herts Motors, continued to exist in some form and moved to Acrewood Way following a takeover by Mann Egerton Coachbuilders until recent times."