Late drama saw St Albans City score twice in second half stoppage-time to seal a 2-0 win over Chippenham Town and climb to fifth in the National League South table.

A tight game looked destined to end in stalemate until Zane Banton slotted home a penalty and Rhys Murrell-Williamson made it two at the death.

It was the Bluebirds who had the better of the early exchanges and could have been ahead with less than a minute on the clock as City road their luck.

Town came forward and Jake Jackson rose highest to connect with a ball into the box but saw his effort crash against the crossbar and spare City.

The theme of visiting dominance continued for much of the opening minutes and Dean Snedker had to be alert in the St Albans goal.

He had to be at his best to deny Kaid Mohamed before being stretched the his limit when keeping out a fierce drive from Jackson.

City were struggling to get a foothold in proceedings but did grow into the match as the half progressed and went close to breaking the deadlock just before the interval.

Sam Merson got clear at a corner and saw a header beat the Town keeper, only to be cleared off the line.

The chance breathed fresh belief into the Saints cause and Murrell-Williamson forced a good stop from Jared Thompson.

His effort looked to be the clearest chance of a tight second period before a frantic conclusion saw City score twice and claim a potentially vital three points.

Their first was in many ways gifted to them as Matt Smith flew into a reckless challenge on Kieran Monlouis to concede a penalty in the second minute of added time.

Banton stepped up and made no mistake from the spot to score in the bottom right corner and spark jubulant scenes among the Saints supporters.

They were given further reason to celebrate moments later as the home side made certain of the points with a second goal.

Substitute Antonio German picked the ball up on the halfway line and spread a long pass into Murrell-Williamson.

He dispatched the chance in clinical fashion, smashing a powerful effort beyond the despairing Thompson.

The result saw City climb above local rivals Hemel Hempstead Town in the league table and they enjoy a three point gap on eighth place Welling United.

With 12 games left to play this season, City will have every confidence of remaining in the play-off places for the remainder of the season.

They have played fewer games than all but one of their top seven rivals and have lost just once in their last four games.

At the time of going to press on Tuesday afternoon, City were getting ready to play Weston Super Mare away from home.

Their opponents have experienced up and down form in recent weeks, picking up two wins and sit 11th in the table.

They come into the game on the back of a 2-1 win over Eastbourne Borough and are looking to keep their own play-off push alive.

Victory for St Albans could see them climb to fourth in the table if Chelmsford fail to win.