Richard Sho-Silva’s first goal for the club wasn’t enough for St Albans City, as they were condemned to back-to-back defeats after being beaten 2-1 by Oxford City at the weekend.

The Saints’ hopes of getting back to winning ways on Saturday were blown after Reece Fleet’s strike 20 minutes from time gained Oxford all three points.

It’s the second time in the space of a week that Ian Allinson’s side have conceded late on, with Chris Dickon’s effort securing Hampton and Richmond Borough a 3-2 win at Clarence Park in mid-week.

After Craig King had raced out to prevent St Albans’ David Moyo with a clear run at goal, the Saints were handed an early scare when Oxford’s Matt Paterson tried to pull off an audacious lob from 25-yards which flew over the stranded Dean Snedker but just over the bar.

Oxford’s Josh Ashby was the next to try his luck, but he couldn’t find the target from close range, while down the other end, St Albans started to grow in confidence and they almost took the lead when captain David Noble’s effort from the edge of the area went just wide.

Play was then halted briefly to allow Saints ‘keeper Snedker to receive treatment for a head injury and he would be picking the ball out of the net in the 25th minute, as Paterson slotted home Rob Fleet’s cut-back from close range after good hold up play from the Oxford man.

Paterson came close to doubling his advantage when he headed Kabongo Tshimanga’s cross from the right into the side-netting, while substitute Kyran Wiltshire stabbed over a corner on the stroke of half-time.

The Saints made more of a fist of things after the break and they tested King for the first time when Ben Herd met Sam Merson’s long throw, but the experienced defender’s effort was straight at the Oxford ‘keeper.

Ian Allinson’s men continued to up the tempo and King maintained Oxford’s advantage when he pulled off a superb save to prevent Zane Banton from tapping home Solomon Sambou’s cross from the right.

St Albans came close again on the hour mark when Merson’s deflected effort was brilliantly cleared off the line by a defender and the Saints’ pressure would finally pay off from the resultant corner, as Sho-Silva rose highest to plant his header into the bottom corner.

But all their hard work was undone inside eight minutes, as Oxford’s Rob Sinclair threaded a pass through to Fleet, who took a touch before calmly slotting past Snedker to re-establish the home side’s advantage.

The game opened up after that Oxford goal, with Zac McEachran working his way into the box, before unleashing an effort which went narrowly wide of the post with the aid of a deflection, while Herd struck the bar for the Saints down the other end.

Oxford were then handed a glorious opportunity to seal the victory with three minutes of normal time remaining when referee Daniel Lamport pointed to the spot after Craig Fasanmade was brought down by Herd.

But Snedker saved his second penalty of the week when he guessed correctly to push away Paterson’s spot-kick to hand St Albans a life-line.

Despite that morale boosting save, Allinson’s men couldn’t find an equaliser after five minutes of stoppage time, meaning they slipped down to 16th place in the National League South table.