St Albans City produced a remarkable late turnaround as they scored three goals in five minutes to seal a 4-2 win over East Thurrock United on Saturday.

Sam Merson broke the deadlock in the 24th minute but Thurrock hit back twice in quick succession through Sam Higgins and Jack Simmons.

Those strikes looked to be enough to give the hosts all three points before City levelled through Richard Sho-Silva in the 88th minute and added goals from Merson and Khale Da Costa to complete the turnaround in stoppage-time.

The result means the Saints have won two games on the spin and now sit 12th in the National League South table after nine games this season.

City’s go-ahead goal came from a man who has had to play second fiddle for much of this season as Merson gave the visitors the advantage midway through the first period.

The goal was simple in its execution as David Noble clipped a free-kick in from the right and Merson, who is always a threat in the air, got up ahead of the United keeper to head home.

St Albans’ lead would last a matter of minutes though as United launched a ball forward and won a penalty kick directly from the restart.

Higgins made no mistake from 12 yards, lashing an effort to Dean Snedker’s right as the keeper threw himself left.

Things got even worse for St Albans with 31 minutes on the clock when United grabbed their second with a well-worked goal.

Roman Michael-Percil cut in from the left and played a pinpoint pass into the feet off Simmons who rounded Snedker and turned into the empty net.

City were now left facing an uphill task to get back into the game and came out for the second half with renewed attacking impetus.

They were inches from levelling when Noble played in Merson and his low cross was turned just over the bar by a retreating United defender.

It looked as though Ian Allinson’s side would leave the match empty handed as time began to slip away from the Saints.

However, with two minutes left they found an equalising goal as another set-piece worked in their favour.

Again Noble was the provider, floating a ball up to the back post for Sho-Silva to power a header in.

City now had the bit between their teeth and were ahead in the first minute of added time when Merson picked up possession on the left and cut inside.

After beating two men, Merson arrowed a low shot across goal and into the bottom corner to restore City’s lead.

Far from being content to see out the remainder of the game, City continued to push forward and were rewarded with a fourth goal.

Da Costa was played in on the right hand side of the box and found the net in spite of United keeper Jack Giddens getting a hand to his shot.

With their form now on the up, City will look to ensure they continue their winning momentum on Saturday when they take on Concord Rangers at Clarence Park.

Rangers sit ninth in the table having failed to win any of their last four games.