St Albans City made it seven league games unbeaten with a 1-0 victory against Oxford City at Clarence Park on Saturday.

The Saints left it late to snatch the points, but a David Moyo header four minutes from time was enough to claim the victory, putting them just one point off the National Leaguie South play-off places.

It was the visitors who started the strongest and they should have taken the lead with just seven minutes on the clock, when Kabongo Tshimanga latched onto a long ball over the top of the St Albans defence and raced towards the 18-yard box.

He managed to round Dean Snedker in the Saints goal, but could only find the side netting from the angle.

Oxford continued to look the stronger outfit and Bobson Bawling was next to create an opening when he cut in from the left-hand side, only to see his low strike comfortably gathered by a grateful Snedker.

The City pressure continued and St Albans had the woodwork to thank for keeping the score level just a few minutes later, as Craig Fasanmade’s cross from the right caused problems and saw David Diedhiou head back towards his own goal.

Fortunately for the defender, luck was on his side and the ball bounced off the base of the post before Snedker could claim.

Having weathered the storm, it was the Saints' turn to attack and Moyo provided goalkeeper Craig King with his first test of the afternoon.

He struck an ambitious free-kick towards the target from 30 yards out, but the former Luton Town stopper was able to get across to save well to send the sides in level at the break.

Once again, it was Oxford who were quickest out the blocks following the restart, as they continued to apply the pressure.

They struck the woodwork again, five minutes into the second half when Reece Fleet’s fierce effort cannoned off of the far post, following a driving run forward.

Snedker, who continued to be the busier of the two stoppers, was called into action again just past the hour mark when he got down low to deny Fasanmade after the winger had jinked into the box.

With St Albans on the back foot, manager Ian Allinson made a double substitution in the 69th minute, bringing on Khale Da Costa and Jordan Sanderson for Solomon Sambou and Tom Bender.

That move ended up paying off late in the game, with Da Costa playing a crucial part in the winning goal.

With just four minutes left on the clock a Sam Merson throw-in was cleared by the Oxford defence, but only as far as Da Costa, who crossed towards the back post, where Moyo rose to power a header past the stranded King, who could do nothing to prevent the goal.

With Oxford looking deflated, the Saints were able to see out the final few minutes in relative comfort as they turned their attention to last night's long trip to Truro City.