St Albans City moved to within two points of the play-off places after coming from behind to win 3-1 against Chelmsford City on Saturday.

Two goals from David Moyo either side of half-time put the Saints in front after Chris Whelpdale had given the visitors the lead.

Khale Da Costa added a third for the Saints to seal all three points.

The game started out tentatively with both sides reluctant to give anything away to their opponents and it took until the 20th minute mark for the first chance of the game to be created.

Chelmsford should have taken the lead when Scott Fenwick collected Lewis Knight’s mishit overhead clearance, but lacked composure with his finish and failed to find the target.

The Clarets began piling on the pressure, meaning Dean Snedker was all of a sudden a busy man in the St Albans goal.

Both Tom Wraight and Whelpdale forced some acrobatics from the keeper to prevent the visitors from going ahead.

However, there was nothing he could do to keep Whelpdale out at the second time of asking when the striker found some space to head home Billy Knott’s corner.

Having spent the majority of the first-half on the back foot, St Albans pushed to find a positive end to the first 45 and they found one through the head of Moyo.

With the break fast approaching, Michael Spillane tripped Da Costa and offered Ben Wyatt a perfect opportunity to deliver a dangerous cross.

On the end of the arcing ball was Moyo, whose header at the back post sailed past Nathan McDonald to level the scores.

St Albans carried their positivity into the second-half and within three minutes of the restart they were in the lead.

Solomon Sambou reclaimed the ball for the Saints in midfield before slipping a well-weighted pass into the path of Da Costa.

The winger crossed for Moyo who could not miss from close range.

Two soon became three as St Albans showed a ruthlessness that has been lacking from them in recent weeks in the 55th minute.

Da Costa received the ball with his back to goal 25 yards out.

The winger swivelled elegantly before clipping the ball delightfully over the top of the despairing McDonald who could only admire effort as it delicately floated into the net.

A late rally from Chelmsford looked to set up a nervy finish to the game, but when Knott clattered Saints’ skipper Tom Bender late on, the referee had little choice but to issue a straight red card and remove any hopes of a comeback.

Snedker had one more save to make before the end of the game and when he threw himself to his left to deny Whelpdale a second, the points were well and truly secured.

After the game, manager Ian Allinson told the club website that the two second-half goals were worthy winners.

“We got two outstanding goals, one on the counter-attack and an absolutely unbelievable goal.

“I thought he was just going to drive it, but he has that little bit of quality.

“We’ve had some special goals here, but I that was one of the best I’ve seen here all season.”