It was a bank holiday weekend of mixed fortunes for St Albans City who picked up a 2-1 win at home to East Thurrock United on Good Friday, before losing by the same margin away at Concord Rangers on Easter Monday.

The Saints slipped out of the play-off places once again after the defeat to Concord, who climbed above both St Albans and Billericay into sixth place with just one match of the regular season remaining at home to champions Torquay United on Saturday.

Things looked to be going swimmingly for City after their game on Friday that saw both sides reduced to 10 men late on.

The Saints had to leave it late to claim the points, with two goals from Clovis Kamdjo cancelling out Amos Nasha’s opening strike in the 72nd minute.

The first of Kamdjo’s goals came in the 85th minute before a dramatic strike in the eighth minute of additional time sealed the win.

United took the lead when a searching delivery into the box was headed away by City skipper Tom Bender.

His clearance could only find Nasha lurking on the edge of the box and he fired a precision shot into the far corner.

Bender made up for his error just over 10 minutes later when his cross from deep was headed high into the air by Steve Sheehan.

As the ball dropped back down towards the ground, Kamdjo was quickest to react and headed it past the on-rushing Jack Giddens.

Bender’s busy afternoon continued into stoppage time when he was given his marching orders for a clumsy two-footed challenge on Danny Harris.

However, a second yellow card for Ibrahim Diallo just a minute later levelled the sides.

A final twist in the tale came in the 98th minute when substitute Liam Sole jinked down the left-hand side, hit a shot towards goal that rebounded off a defender and into the path of Kamdjo who scored the game’s winning goal.

Things were far less dramatic a few days later when goals in the first 20 minutes for Concord's Sam Ashford and Alex Wall gave the Saints a mountain to climb.

James Kaloczi’s goal five minutes before half-time gave the visitors some belief they could still get something from the game, but no breakthrough was to found in the second half and City slipped out of the play-off places.

Manager Ian Allinson told the club website that his side had simply been made to pay due to a lack of quality.

“It’s no lie to it, it’s probably been like that for the last 10 games,” he said.

“Today we’ve not got away with - we’ve paid for poor quality, poor decision making and it all happened in that first 20, 25 minutes.

“We got back to 2-1 and I thought we’d get something out of it, but we can’t give teams that are in and around the area that we are like this lot a two-goal start.”