St Albans City were denied an opening-day victory after being held to a goalless draw at home to Chippenham Town on Saturday.

The Saints finished last season promisingly in ninth in the National League South and will be hoping to build on this during their latest campaign.

Ian Allinson’s side came under pressure during the opening stages at Clarence Park with Chippenham making a strong start.

The visitors almost opened the scoring in the first 10 minutes with Dean Evans’ header kept out by a save from goalkeeper Dean Snedker.

City’s first opportunity of the match fell to Bobson Bawling but his strike from the edge of the area rose over the crossbar.

Chippenham put the ball in the net during the first half through Dave Pratt’s header but it was ruled out for offside.

The visitors were aggrieved with the decision and the match was delayed several minutes as some of their players protested against the ruling.

But Chippenham continued to threaten and went close before the break, with Pratt’s low cross headed against the outside of the post by Luke Hopper.

The action slowed up significantly during the second half with both sides cancelling each other out for long periods.

Darren Foxley went close for the Saints but his long-range strike narrowly missed the target.

Bawling also missed a chance as he sent a half-volley over the crossbar.

The final opportunity of the game fell to the lively Foxley, after he was set up by Albert Adu, but he could not find the target from a tight angle.

It was a strong end to the game for the Saints but their finishing was not sharp enough to start their new league campaign with maximum points.

Allinson almost guided City into the play-offs last season and recently signed up to a new deal which will see him provide commercial guidance in addition to managing the team.

The Saints continue their league campaign tonight with a trip to Dartford in the league.

City are on their travels again on Saturday with a game at Dulwich Hamlet.