The Duckworth-Lewis method conspired against Harpenden on Saturday as they slipped to a 29-run loss t against Totteridge Millhillians on a rain-soaked day.

Having won the toss, Harpenden looked to make the most of the favourable bowling conditions and put Totteridge into bat.

Despite the decision being a wise one, Harps struggled to contain the Totteridge line-up as four of their top five made scores of 40 plus.

Opener Ben Howgego set the tone for his side, scoring 41 from 46 deliveries as the visitors eased to 68 without loss.

Shaun O’Brien (43) and Jonathan Miles (44) added further weight to the Totteridge total, but Simon Webster provided the standout innings.

He took just 50 balls to smash 69 in a knock which included eight fours and a six.

Ben Clements was the most imposing of Harpenden’s bowlers as he claimed 1-37, while Nick Lamb (1-44), Ben Frazer (1-46) and Billy May (1-59) also struck.

The quartets’ efforts ensured Totteridge ended their innings with an impressive 262 to defend, but they would ultimately only bowl half their overs before the weather closed in.

Harpenden’s response was in its infancy when Benjamin Lederman struck to dismiss Gregg Cooper for a duck with only his second delivery.

From their Harps looked to recover, with Hemish Ilangaratne offering the best resistance with a score of 30 not out.

Clements (17) and James Latham were the only other batsmen to see any action as Harpenden were forced back into the pavilion with the score of 90-3.

With the weather ensuring no more play could take place, the mathematics favoured Totteridge and they were awarded victory on a frustrating day for Harpenden.

The result leaves Harps rooted to the foot of the Herts Premier League with three defeats from their opening three games.

They will hope to lift themselves in time for the visit to Luton Town & Indians on Saturday.

Their hosts sit just a place above them in the league and the fixture could provide the best chance yet for Harps to get off the mark.

The weather also proved to be a frustration for St Albans City as their game against Ickleford was called off.

City went into the match at Clarence Park looking to build on picking up their first win of the season against Bishop Stortford last week.

Despite not playing, St Albans can still look up the table optimistically with two games played this season.

They currently occupy fourth-place and are just a point adrift of Stortford who are a place above them having played a game more.

They are a further four points shy of a second place and an all-important promotion berth, which is currently filled by Preston.

A match with Watford Town, who currently sit seventh in the table, is next up for City.