St Albans City brought the curtain down on their pre-season schedule with a drab 0-0 draw against Chesham United on the road at the Meadow on Saturday.

The result means City have won just one of their friendlies in the build-up to the 2017/18 campaign - a 2-1 defeat of Harlow Town last Tuesday.

The remainder of their preparations have seen them suffer defeats against Peterborough United, Cambridge United, Billericay Town and a Watford XI, as well as holding Harpenden Town to a 2-2 draw.

Ian Allinson’s side started the game the better of the two sides and could easily have been ahead inside half an hour but for some misfortune in front of goal.

Kieran Monlouis was the first to try his luck, controlling the ball smartly before firing against the post.

Moments later, City went close again as Shaun Lucien beat his man and forced a fine save from the Chesham keeper.

Perhaps stirred into life by the let-offs, Chesham began to grow into the game and went close to grabbing the go-ahead goal through Jon Jo Bates.

The United man collected the ball on the edge of the box and saw his shot drift wide of Dean Snedker’s post.

Both sides had further chances to break the deadlock before the interval but both Lucien and Lewis Toomey saw their respective efforts comfortably saved.

The second half began at a far slower pace, with chances arriving with far less regularity.

What openings City did muster were largely inspired by Lucien who again went close on the hour as he shot wide after beating three defenders with a fine run.

Sam Merson saw an effort well saved six minutes later as the Chesham number one got down well to deny his low strike and maintain parity.

From that point on the game meandered towards its conclusion somewhat before City spurned a final chance to win it.

Zane Banton’s through ball picked put Charlie Walker, who created space with a smart turn but could only shoot straight at the keeper.

It was the last meaningful opening either side created and they were left to settle for a draw.

Attention now turns to the start of the season, with Allinson eager to improve on last term’s showing, which saw the Saints fall away in the second part of the campaign.

At the time of going to press, City were preparing for their season opener, which saw them take on Hitchin Town in the Herts Charity Cup.

They follow that match up with their first game of the National League South season when they take on Oxford City on Saturday.

If last season is anything to go by, the match could prove to be a keenly contested affair.

The two sides finished 10th and 14th respectively in the 2016/17 campaign and were separated by just seven points.

Oxford have experienced mixed form during pre-season, winning three and losing four of their matches.