St Albans Ladies showed an intensity that has been lacking from previous games as they defeated Oxford Hawks 2-1 in the National League.

The side went 1-0 down after ten minutes after a deflected effort by Oxford. St Albans dug in and attacked but it was not until the ball got to Sammie Archer that Oxford were under pressure.

Time and again Archer caused real problems for Oxford. From a short corner Holly Parson passed to Archer but the Oxford keeper saved and Lucy Barrett pounced on the rebound to score.

After the break St Albans continued to attack and Clare Beattie and Archer caused Oxford more problems.

Halfway through the second half, Beattie shot from the top of the circle, Sarah Cullum got a stick to the ball just as she collided with the Oxford keeper and the ball trickled over the line to make the score 2-1.

The St Albans defence held firm and defender Chloe Hobson was singled out as the star performer.

The St Albans Sevenths produced one of their best performances of the season in their 2-2 draw with newly promoted Bedford Vets.

With experience on their side, the Bedford side showed why they are unbeaten so far this season with their clinical approach to the game.

The more experienced Bedford side with years on the young St Albans team took the lead after a short corner close to half-time.

The young blades of St Albans fought back to level 1-1 in the second half with Charlie Beedle forcing the ball home from an acute angle.

This goal opened the game up with the Tangerines taking the initiative in the last 20 minutes.

Beedle again came close ably supported by Michael Voigt and Andrew Jennings but against the run of play Bedford again took the lead after a deflected shot on goal with only ten minutes to play.

To the credit of the St Albans side, they fought back and produced a well-worked goal from a short corner to gain a deserved draw against the league leaders.

The Ladies Sixths drew 2-2 with Hertford Thirds as they earned their first point of the season.

A hard-fought game saw goals from Sandi Chanda and Nathan Murley but the Saints conceded a late penalty equaliser.

In other action, St Albans Boadiceas eased to a 4-0 win over Leighton Buzzard.

Despite being down to 11 players and missing their regular goalkeeper the Boadiceas were in fighting form right from the off.

The first goal came from a swift pass by Sue Hicks on the backline to midfielder Kelli Seagrave at the top of the D who rattled it home.

The second came from a pass to Helen Anton on the penalty spot who struck it neatly into the corner of the goal.

The third was achieved from a spectacular reverse scoop into the top of the net by Anton.

The half-time team talk certainly saw Leighton Buzzard raise their game but not enough to disturb the Boadiceas stand-in keeper Tamsin Warren who had a great game between the sticks.

Once again Angie Patton impressed as did Jaqui Barford and Sue Carter in defence who all succeeded in protecting keeper Warren from danger.

After several unsuccessful attempts at scoring, forward Lou Jackman managed to push one home to make the final score 4-0.